The past week has been a doozy, and it’s been *hot* outside. I use the word hot liberally because it’s mostly just been warm, but I’m a wuss when it comes to warm weather. My problem is that it gets warmer inside our house than out. We have no ac, and our house has a bass-akwards layout. The kitchen is upstairs, where all of the heat goes and where I spend
most all of my time. On hot days like these, I choose not to turn on my stove or oven to preserve any cool air that might still be around.
As luck would have it, I had a hankering for a treat that required no heat to prepare; peanut butter pie! Have I ever had peanut butter pie, you ask? Well, internet friends, no, not to my recollection. While I’ve never had the real-life pleasure, I had a clear idea of what I dreamt it would be. A peanut buttery, cool, and fluffy mousse-like treat, just begging me to take a bite. So, this is my interpretation of what peanut butter pie tastes like.
I decided to put this pie in a jar. I loved the idea of deconstructing a pie and putting it back together in layers that create fun flavor explosions 💥. Plus, the presentation is quite pretty too! In my peanut butter pie dreams, marshmallow was a necessary addition. Any kid who grew up in the 90’s knows that pb&j might be a classic, but pb&fluff (fluffernutter) was da bomb 💣!
There is a surprise inside this treat. It’s totally awesome, and unexpected, and I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced it, but you should. By “it”, I mean chocolate covered potato chips – sweet, salty, crunchy perfection. The execution of these chocolatey chips is a little different than simply dipping chips in chocolate. No, dear friends, this treat deserved crushed potato chips loaded with hot fudge. I believe this is commonly known as “trashing” up a dessert. I don’t know, it seems preeeetty classy to me.
After having eaten way to much of this fluffernutter chocolate crunch parfait goodness, I can say with much certainty that this is exactly how I imagined peanut butter pie would taste. It was the perfect balance of peanut-buttery richness, fluffy whipped coolness, and a little salty crunch for good measure! (Did I mention there’s Oreos 🙏?)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 3/4 c smooth peanut butter
- 8 oz whipped topping (cool whip)
- 7 oz marshmallow creme
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3.5-4 oz chocolate (I used 2.5 oz dark and 1.5 oz semi-sweet)
- 2 T corn syrup
- 2 T milk
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 T powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 c crushed oreos
- 1 c crushed potato chips
- Beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and peanut butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy smooth and fluffy.
- Fold in the whipped topping and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In another bowl, beat the marshmallow creme and 4 oz of cream cheese together until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Microwave the chocolate, corn syrup, and milk in a bowl for 30 seconds.
- Stir until smooth (it took a little patience).
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla, and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- In a mason jar, or similar container, layer crushed Oreos, peanut butter mousse, crushed potato chips, hot fudge, marshmallow cream, crushed Oreos, peanut butter mousse, whipped cream
- Top it off with some crushed Oreos and hot fudge, and enjoy or refrigerate!